Friday, May 16, 2008

More Bed Rest

I returned from my doctor appointment a little bit ago, and more bed rest is prescribed. I had another non-stress test today, where they hook me up to the monitors to observe the babies. And also when they kick or move, I am supposed to push a button to keep track of their activities in there. Everything looked ok on that, but my blood pressure was high. So, they gave me a few minutes and rechecked it, and it was high. Then they made me lie on my side, and it was high again. They checked it a few more times, and it was high. Bottom line is I have high blood pressure, which can be an early sign of preeclampsia.

What is preeclampsia you ask? Check this out: http://www.preeclampsia.org/about.asp
There are other symptoms to preeclampsia besides high blood pressure, but the only symptom I have is high blood pressure. My doctor had some tests ordered on me and then I will be returning Monday morning for another appointment. Preeclampsia is most common in first time pregnancies, and woman pregnant with multiples (that's me =) ).

So PLEASE, nobody freak out. She's watching me closely, and I know the signs and other symptoms of preeclampsia if something were to happen over the weekend. It doesn't change anything if I worry about it or get stressed out so nobody else should either. I plan on going about my daily business of lying on the couch and occupying my mind with whatever it is I do all day. The good thing is that I am 34 weeks now (Yay!!!!!!!!!!) so if I did have to be induced, the babies would likely be just fine.

This news comes as a change to the expected removal of bed rest, but that is ok. I'm here to do whatever is best for the babies. Its only a few weeks out of my entire life and then I'll be up on my feet again. If I ever get tired of lying here, I just think of what it was like running my last marathon last summer, and then it feels so good to be lying here.

Have a good weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sorry to hear about the more bed rest! But just think about how much more blogging you can get done! You take care of yourself and I can't wait to meet Oliver and Charlie!!! (I talked to George last night on the phone and he spilled the beans!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you not give George the message that he was supposed to call me last night? Was he busy in the sandbox or something? Go buy a blood pressure machine! Please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can think of me swimming, biking, and running while lying on that couch and this too--my first time on a road bike out for a long ride with four other men and what do I do--you guessed, tipped over in the driveway even before the ride started--a little scrapped and bruised but not much else

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...Sorry about more bed rest. :( We're thinking about you and can't wait to meet the two new Zimbrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info on preeclampsia and the "no-freak out" condition.

    ReplyDelete