Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Waunafest 2009

A few weekends ago we traveled to Waunakee to celebrate Waunafest with the Zimbrics. It was a typical fun-filled Waunafest complete with the Waunafest run (I still haven't figured out why they don't call it the Wauna-run), carnival rides, beer tent, and parade on Sunday. I did learn one thing this year, however. Never skip naps to do carnival rides, because it makes for a rediculously crabby evening with three kids. I can now say that I have driven a child around to get him to sleep at night. The commercials with parents driving their kids around in minivans at midnight and smiling when they see them sleeping all make sense to me now. Regardless, it was a fun weekend that we look forward to every year. Here are some pictures.


George on the motorcycle. He looks like a natural.



Angie, Matt, and Teresa before the Wauna-run.



George, Claire, and Henry teaching the alligator a lesson.



Louis and Grandma on the merry-go-round, it was Louis's first.


Last weekend was the annual Holter camping trip. This year it was at Lake Wissota State Park near Chippewa Falls. It rained almost the entire way there for us, but stopped raining before we arrived at the park and didn't start raining until after we set up our gear and went to bed. But then it rained a lot. Some reports are in the 5-6" rain. With that much rain, we were lucky that we only had a few drips here and there in our tent. Saturday was a very hot and humid day with a very unstable atmosphere. The ranger stopped over around 6 PM to warn us of tornado watches. Everybody tossed up the idea of leaving, but nobody wanted to leave because nobody else was leaving. We continuted to listen to the radio and heard reports of touchdowns, funnel clouds, and growing stronger as it moved east and was headed right for us. So, at 10:30 PM, everybody decided to pack up and head out. That was the fastest I've ever seen seven tents, four screen tents, and 26 people's camping gear moved out of a site before. We were all gone around 11:30, and I couldn't help but laugh at the scenario. It made an unforgetable camping trip! We drove home, arriving at 3 AM. The rest of my family (well, almost) stayed in a hotel. Next year we're hoping for better weather! And sorry, I didn't snap any pictures from the camping weekend because it was too much work chasing down kids, drying things out, etc. Bummer.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. WOW, what a camping trip!! I am laughing just thinking of everyone running around throwing stuff into the cars!

    ReplyDelete