Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summertime Fun

We've spent a lot of time outside lately, trying to enjoy the simple things in life and just enjoy the awesome weather we've had this summer. As summer comes to an end, its fun to reminisce how we've changed.

At the beginning of the summer, Louis was barely a crawler. Charlie had at least a month of crawling experience on him, but now they are both walkers. They both took first steps about a month ago, but this past Saturday they cut themselves loose and they are on the go. Although they know they are still faster crawling than walking.

At the beginning of the summer, George could not ride a bike. He even struggled with the little plastic hot rod things. Now he has a 16" bike with training wheels he rides himself.

At the beginning of the summer, Charlie and Louis could only mumble "Mumma" and "Dadda". Now they have expanded their vocabulary to "dog", "digger", and "milk".

At the beginning of the summer, I would never dream of hearing things such as "Mom, you are a waiter. Get me some cake now, please!" from George's mouth. That is exactly what I heard at dinner last night.

At the beginning of the summer, we did not have a minivan. Now, we do (thank GOD!).

At the beginning of the summer, I feared the two camping trips we had planned. Now, I have lived through them and they were not such a big deal. I also learned how quickly you can pack up camping gear and leave the campsite at 10:30 PM while all kids are sleeping.

There are many other things learned and experienced this summer. George making new friends and watching him embrace being a big brother. Charlie and Louis climbing at the playgrounds and going down tall slides by themselves. Charlie and Louis bothering George by taking his toys. Charlie and Louis hugging and giving kisses. Charlie and Louis pinching and biting each other because they are fighting over a toy. George saying "Stop dilly-dallying" when I'm wasting time because he hears me say it. George learning how to negotiate by "making deals": "Mom, I can listen to my music on the way there and you can listen to your music on the way home. That sound like a deal"? We hear that every time we go somewhere. George having an hour-long tantrum at Target the other day because I will not go back and buy the stupid, cheap garbage truck.

Laying all this out helps me realize we did do something this summer, even if it wasn't as grandiose as other summers. Its also nice to look back and see how we've changed, to see how the kids have grown. It was a good summer.


Here is George posing for a picture. I told him I am going to take his picture and asked him to pose. This is what he did. Pretty good, huh?



This is Louis, walking for one of the first times.

Mom and the kids at lunch the other day. I didn't even have food they wanted to eat, they just wanted to be around me. What a great feeling.


Charlie and Louis are actually fighting over this toy here, but this is what their hugs look like usually. Watch out for their kisses, they are open mouth sloppy things.

Now, bring on the fall!!! It is my favorite season!


2 comments:

  1. What a great summer! I have so much to look forward to next year! Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how much the boys have seemed to grow just since our camping trip...crazy! And of course cute =)

    ReplyDelete