Charlie and Louis are 11 weeks old now. I have to remind myself that even though they are 11 weeks, they "act" like about 7 weeks since they were born that early. So I don't get too discouraged that they aren't sleeping through the night yet. Charlie teased us a few nights now and has slept for about 6 hours at a time. Louis has had some longer nights too, but not quite the 6 hours that Charlie did. They both seem to be stuck on the 4-5 hours at a time thing. They really like to smile now and have a good time. We took them to have their pictures taken for the first time last weekend, but they weren't in the smiling mood for the most part. Maybe at the next session.


We learned this week that both Charlie and Louis are tongue-tied, or ankyloglossia. That means the flap of tissue (lingual fraenum) underneath their tongue is short and inhibits their tongue movement. This can cause dificulty feeding, and later in life it can cause speech issues (although this isn't proven), still inhibits tongue movement which prevents them from cleaning tootsie rolls out of their teeth with their tongue, playing tonsil hockey, etc. So we'll likely be getting their tongues "clipped", aka lingual frenotomy. I'm told that it is worse for the parents than it is for the babies. I'm guessing this is the reason they only feed for 7 minutes at a time usually, and have lots of gas between 4 - 5 AM every morning. Babies that are tongue tied tend to suck in lots of air when eating. They haven't had any problem gaining weight though or growing, that's for sure!
Two weekends ago, we had the annual camping get together with my family. We didn't camp, are you crazy?!? We did spend Saturday with them however, and had a good time. We did say that we would camp next year, and I am thinking that it almost would have been easier to just camp this year, and only visit next year. Can you imagine trying to set up a tent while keeping track of a crazy dog, George, and two one year olds that just learned how to walk? I've vowed to never tie my kids up on a leash to keep track of htem, but I might have to retract that vow....

The day after camping, Matt competed in his one and only triathlon for the year. It was the Ripon tri olympic distance, which was 1500 m swim, 25 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run. He finished third in his age group, which he was very pleased with since he had very limited training time. I watched with George and Charlie and Louis, which I think was more work than actually doing the race. 

Last weekend we relaxed. Ahhhh, that was nice.
This weekend we mostly relaxed. That was nice too! We're saving our energy for next weekend, which is when Charlie and Louis will be baptized.
George finished up his summer session of swimming lessons at the Y. He was in the Turtle class, and he did not graduate to the next level yet. I'm told that its common for kids to be in the Turtle class 4 or 5 sessions, just because they are all younger and it takes them a while to learn to do everything. They are supposed to learn to jump in by themselves, put their heads under water, be comfortable floating on back, etc etc. At least George likes it. There are some kids in the class that scream their heads off the whole 20 minutes. Its hard for me to listen to, and I'm not even their mom! George starts his next session in the beginning of September, and its only once a week. He also finished up gymnastics class too. I'm not going to sign him up for that again, but we are going to do a different gymnastics class through the Y in Fond du Lac. George did meet a friend through his class too that we'll be playing with more often, especially since they live close by. George continues to be very affectionate with Charlie and Louis. He will insist on leaving the breakfast/dinner table just to get down and give them a kiss or a hug. He will tell us when it is time for Charlie and Louis to play, and when they want tummy time. When they are playing, he likes to point out that they have little feet by saying "Look, he has little feet!" In the car, he likes to hold their hands. One day he was actually upset because he could not reach one of their hands. That's what you call a good big brother. He's also a little devil too sometimes, playing his drum and yelling at the top of his lungs to wake them up. I can't wait until they can torture him sometimes.
That is all our news in our world that I can think of at the moment. I guess when I go this long between blogs, its hard to remember everything. I shouldn't do that. Now that fall is almost here things will settle down a bit and we can fall into an even better routine. I'm sure we'll have lots of pictures from the baptisms.
No comments:
Post a Comment