Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Doctor vs Lactation Consultant, Round 1

So, last Wednesday Charlie and Louis had appointments with their pediatrician to look at their tongue-ties. The lactation consultants had looked at them the previous week, and diagnosed the condition themselves and said we may want to look into getting them clipped. So we did, and we decided we wanted to, so that is what the appointment with the pediatrician was for. But, the pediatrician took one look at them and said that they weren't really tongue tied, and called them quite normal. HMMMM...INteresting. How could there be such difference of opinions here? I proceed to ask that question, followed by "Well, the lactation consultants are NOT doctors". OUCH! What a blow to the lactation consultants! What do the lactation consultants say about the pediatrician? "He's such an old fart!" I mean, do you really need a medical degree to diagnose a tongue-tie once you know what one is? They had even taken it upon themselves to call up to the pediatrician and warn him that we are coming. Clearly, these two fields in the medical profession butt heads. Round one goes to the pediatrician, because we did not have the tongues clipped yet, but it will be interesting to see what the lactation consultants have to say about this! Perhaps the pediatrician will get a tongue-lashing from them, no pun intended!


Charlie and Louis
When we were at the doctor last week, they did weigh them at least. Charlie was 13 lbs 4 oz, and Louis was 13 lbs 10 oz. It is important to note that Charlie had just went #2 right before he was weighed, so they very well could have both been 13 lbs 10 oz, but not at that exact moment. I didn't expect them to be so "heavy"! In the pictures below, Louis is on top and Charlie is below. They are transitioning out of their 0-3 month clothes and into 3-6 month clothes. They seem to need length in clothing more than they need girth. They both smile a lot! They've even started to smile at George, which he thinks is great! Louis has lost a lot of hair, and appears bald for time being on the top of his head. But his hair is growing fast. About a week ago he only had peach fuzz, and now it is like real hair, just extremely short. Charlie still has quite a bit of hair and it appears to just be growing, and not falling out. In the sleeping department, they were both doing quite well sleeping for about 6 hours at a time. Louis still does that, but Charlie has decided it is more fun to wake up every 3 hours. I don't agree with him.

Charlie and Louis were both baptized this last weekend. It was a good time. They still smell like chrism oil. You will have to wait to see some pictures because we weren't able to get any with

our camera. They never cried through the whole ordeal though, which is amazing. Other than that, they are outgrowing their shared crib, and will likely transition to separate cribs within the month sometime. They don't wake each other up at night from crying, but they squirm around now and bump into each other and that does wake them up. Its amazing how much they can squirm around.

Today was the first time I've noticed them truly interact with each other, and it was only one of them. Charlie smiled at Louis. I tried to get Louis to look at Charlie at the same time, but he was interested in something else instead.

George
Big brother George is getting bigger everyday--in size and attitude. I love it. Yesterday we stopped for gas, and he wanted to get out of the car. I told him it will only take a short amount of time to get gas so he should just wait, but that wasn't satisfactory to him. When I was pumping the gas, I could hear him yelling "I WANT TO GET OUT MOM! I'M MAD AT YOU!" Really? I don't even know where he hears that "I'm mad at you " business. I was laughing hysterically on the outside, but secretly scared on the inside since he's not even three yet and pulling this kind of attitude. He continues to be a good big brother for Charlie and Louis. He is even learning to be a little respectful when Charlie and Louis are sleeping. It helps that we have a rewards chart. If he's naughty, he gets a bad check mark. If we catch him being good, he gets a good check mark. Five good check marks gets a treat, but if he has bad check marks he has to do something good to remove the bad check marks first. Its pretty effective so far. There are lots of things he does that are good now, and points out "I get a good check mark now!"

One of George's favorite places to go for walks is the dirt pile by our house. This is where all the construction dirt is dumped, and its probably three stories high. Sasha loves it too, because we throw dirt to her and she chases it. Here are some pictures from the dirt pile.








Matt
Not too much new with Matt. For my birthday, he is sending me to a photography class I wanted to take. Very nice of him. The REAL present though, is that the class is on Monday nights for three hours, and he has to watch the kids by himself. And it takes 30 minutes to get to the class, and thirty minutes to get home. So for four hours every Monday he'll be managing the kids all by himself. I do feel bad for him, but I will remember this birthday present for a loooooong time.
That's all I can think of. We hope to have a relaxing labor day weekend, and maybe get some stuff done around the house. That's hard to do these days. After next week our activity load will pick back up again with swim lessons and open gyms.

2 comments:

  1. Love it love it love it! George is hilarious. I'll put my pics on Walgreens soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this Sandi. George cracks me up!! Looking forward to seeing your next.

    ReplyDelete